Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman Review

Preface:  I  thought  this  would  be  a  contemporary  fiction  novel.  I  didn't  know  it  would  be  a  paranormal  young  adult  novel,  and  it  ultimately  made  the  hit-or-miss  of  YA  lit  as  a  hit.  I  thought  Mia  would  have  survived  the  car  accident  and  be  adjusting  to  what  happened;  I  ultimately  thought  during  that  she'd  be  suicidal.  But  this  book  definitely  wasn't  what  I  expected  while  I  nearly  hit  the  target.
What  happened  to  Mia  is  horrifying.  If  all  my  family  suddenly  died  in  a  car  accident  and  I  was  the  only  one  who  still  had  a  chance  at  making  it,  I'm  not  sure  what  I'd  do.  I  may  or  may  not  stay.  In  some  way  I  could  see  myself  wanting  to  kill  myself  and  another  to  still  live  on.  It  would  only  be  my  choice  and  no  one  else  could  decide  for  me;  it  would  be  the  most  important  choice  I'd  ever  make.  This  is  what's  going  on  with  Mia,  stuck  in  between  life  and  death  in  a  coma.  She  can  either  stay  alive,  or  die.  This  is  her  choice.

One  thing  I  really  liked  about  this  book  was  how  human  these  characters  were.  A  lot  of  YA  Books  have  such  flat  characters  I  can  barely  remember  who's  who.  This  was  not  the  case  in  this  book  because  everyone  stuck  out.  No  one  was  stereotypical  and  everyone  was  people  I  could  imagine  as  real.  There's  really  no  antagonist  in  this  book  and  it's  hard  to  hate  anyone.  Everyone  was  just  who  they  were.
The  things  other  than  the  paranormal  aspects  in  this  book  are  usually  pretty  true  to  life  (but  I'm  debating  about  when  the  punk  rock  chick  went  to  the  hospital).  The  people  here  aren't  doing  crazy  stuff,  they're  just  being  human.  You  can  understand  how  everyone  other  than Mia  feels  about  what's  happening  almost  as much  as  you  feel  it  with  Mia  herself.  This  is  looking  at  a  fictional,  but  in  your  heart  true  tragedy.
Adam  and  Mia's  relationship  was  a  healthy  relationship  you  can't  help  but  like.  They're  the  cute,  cliche  "boy-girl"  relationship.  They  both  feel  strongly  for  each  other  and  understand  themselves.  I'm  glad  this  was  real  and  not  insta-love  or  evil  stalker.  Adam  actually  cared  about  Mia.  But  I  didn't  like  the  "playing  music"  scene.  It  was  either  me  being  asexual  or  the  fact  that  I  was  waiting  for  Raph  to  bust  himself  out  of  Adam's  pants.
 This  book  involved  two  characters  who  identified  as  feminists  and  they  were  portrayed  as  normal  people-  Mia's  mom  and  her  friend  Willow,  the  nurse.  Positive  gay  characters  were  also  put  out  in  the  book  as  normal  people.  Mia  and  Kim  also  may  be  feminists.  That  also  made  me  happy.
I  nearly  cried  at  times.  I  know,  Katherine  is  so  evil,  she  didn't  cry.  I  almost  did,  but  it's  also  because  I'm  a  sort  of  recovering  germaphobe, and  touching  my  eyes  has  been  a  personal  fear  of  mine  since  I  read  Gary  Larson's  picture  book.
Five  stars.  I'm  definitely  reading  Where  She  Went.

No comments:

Post a Comment