Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Nature Girl by Jane Kelley Review

It's  been  a  couple  years  since  I  read  My  Side of  the  Mountain.  I  don't  remember  much  except  for  parts  like  how  the  guy  got  his  falcon  and  the  ending.  It  was  a  pretty  good  story,  but  I  liked  this  more  even  if  the  other  book  is  a  classic.
When  I  began  reading  this  book  I  could  barely  get  through  the  beginning.  I  didn't  like  Megan  or  the  other  characters,  but  I  kept  through.  I  could  understand  why  Megan  didn't  like  Vermont.  I  too  am  a  tech  addict  and  could  do  without  hiking.  I  also  doodle  a  lot  (I  have  notebooks  full  of  doodles  and  for  social  studies  notes).  
Megan  is  a  relate  able  character.  She  isn't  really  special  in  the  literature  context,  extremely  average.  She's  pissed  things  aren't  going  her  way  (who  isn't  like  that?).  She  just  wants  to  hang  with  her BFF  Lucy,  who  has  her  own  problems  concerning  her  mother  with  Hodkins  disease.  So  is  it  bad  enough  she  has  to  get  stuck  on  a  hiking  trail  in  Vermont?  Soon  enough  she  has  a  purpose  for  doing  so,  and  her  life  changes  forever.  Megan  stops  some  of  her  problems  and  leaves  with  hope.
I  laughed  so  hard  at  some  of  the  jokes  in  the  book  and  some  were  really  corny.  This  was  written  as  a  middle  school  age  novel,  not  some  great  literary  work.  It's  however  very  funny,  full  of  great  doodles,  and  what  it's  like  to  survive  on  the  trail.  Megan  changes  for  the  good  and  it's  hard  not  to  root  for  her.  She  and  her  dog  Arp  work  hard  to  survive  and  make  it  to  see  Lucy.
Although  it's  at  times  slow,  I  suggest  you  keep  trekking.  This  is  a  great  novel  that  needs  to  be  read.  4  stars,

No comments:

Post a Comment