Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Bitter End by Jennifer Brown Review


I  have  to  state  this:  I  loved  Hate  List.  It  was one  of  those  books  I  went  head  over  sneakers  for  (I  don't  wear  heels).  I  cried  during  it  and  I  keep  it  by  my  bed  like  all  other  books  I  really  love.  Bitter  End  is  there,  too.  But  halfway  through  the  book  I  was  having  so  many  Hate  List  flashbacks,  I  couldn't  help  it.  The  only  reason  I  bought  Bitter  End  was  because  of  Jennifer  Brown  being  one  of  my  favorite  authors  even  though  she  only  has  one  other  book  out.  But  I  loved  Bitter  End  and  I  understand  that  and  Hate  List  are  two  totally  different  books.  Paragraph  finished.

Alex  has  a  tough  life:  Her  mom  ran  off  to  Colorado  and  was  in  an  accident  knocking  her  brains  out  (she's  dead),  her  dad's  a  walking  depression  commercial,  her  sisters  barely  speak  to  her,  and  she  thought  she  could  trust  her  best  friends  because  they  don't  accept  her  new  (first)  boyfriend  Cole.  Everything  changed  when  she  met  Cole.
This  is  what  was  going  on  inside  my  head  while  and  when  I  read  this  book  and  wasn't  having  Hate  List  flashbacks:  These  songs  were  stuck  in  my  head.  
For  the  relationship  I  saw  in  my  head  with  Alex  and  Cole,  I  thought  of  these  two  Train  songs  except  not  in  the  great  way  Train  is,  but  all  dark  and  twisted.
Yeah,  not  in  a  heartwarming,  funky  beat  way.
Except  not  in  the  great  sound  way  and  being  a  great  message.  Basically  this  is  other  world  evil  Train  way  (OK  crazy  idea,  how  could  there  ever  be  an  evil  Train?  No  alternative  universe  Pat  could  truly  be  evil,  just  more  alien  looking.)  without  the  cool  cover  art.  Thank  Agnosticism  (heh-heh,  no  god,  LOL)  I  didn't  have  "Drops  of  Jupiter"  stuck  in  my  head.
I  also  thought  of  the  abusive  part  of  their  relationship  mainly  as  one  of  those misogynistic  rap  or  rock  songs,  I  don't  even  have  to  name  one  you  can  just  hear  it  already.

And  Alex  made  me  think  of  this  song  by  Coldplay  (from  their  epic  NEW  album  released  yesterday  which  sadly  I  haven't  bought  yet):
Except  they  weren't  elephants  (whatever).  If  you  read  the  novel  you'll  understand  why  I  put  this  song  up.

So  let's  discuss  the  characters:
Alex  was  a  believable  character,  especially  in  her  relationship  with  Cole.  The  truth  is,  a  lot  of  people  in  abusive  relationships  (guy  or  girls)  stay  in  that  relationship  and  let  themselves  be  abused.  And  no,  it  isn't  their  fault,  they  don't  want  to  be  abused,  they  may  be  sluts  (female  sexual  power  FTW,  down  with  slut/stud),  and  they  did  not  enjoy  it  (I've  heard  all  the  exact  same  bullshit  for  rape,  from  ex-friends  of  mine  whom  I  now  refuse  to  even  look  in  the  eye).  Alex  was  just  like  all  those  statistics,  but  at  the  same  time  she  was  also  her  own  person,  not  someone  on  a  PSA.  I  cried  for  her  multiple  times  (such  as  when  Cole  called  her  a  slut,  when  Cole  pushed  her  and  she  had  the  accident  to her  face).  Jennifer  Brown  made  me  cry  again  even  if  Alex  is  so  different  from  Valerie.
Cole  was  a  chauvinist  pig  who  I  also  suspect  is  a  homophobe  (how  many  times  have  I  seen  this  combined?).  But  unlike  most  chauvinist  pigs  in  YA  fiction  that  are  male,  he  wasn't  stereotypical.  I  hate  all  the  misandrist,  stereotypical  chauvinist  pigs  running  around  in  YA  lit  (I'm  speaking  to  you  Tara  Hudson).  Cole  had  a  personality  and  if  it  weren't  for  what  he  did  to  Alex,  you  might  actually  feel  bad  for  him.  He  lived  in  a  dysfunctional  family,  with  a  suicidal  mom,  chauvinist  pig  father  (who  definitely  was  homophobic),  and  who  abused  them  both.  This  reminded  me  of  Alex  Flinn's  Breathing  Underwater  (a  great  read-alike)  in  which  both  of  the  main  male  characters  were  abused  by  their fathers  and  take  it  out  on  their  girlfriends.  It's  true,  many  people  who  are  abused  as  kids  often  grow  up  to abuse  others,  like  their  spouse or  kids  or  both.  That's  what  Dave  Pelzer's  mom  did  to  him  and  luckily  for  him  he  never  did  it  to  anyone  else.  But  that  doesn't  always  happen.  At  first  I  thought  they  fell  in  love  too  fast,  but  then  it  got  more  drawn  out.  Cole  was  too  a  believable  character.  I  was  even  crying  for  the  other  girls  he  abused.
Beth  and  Zack  are  the  two  best  friends  you've  just  been  wanting.  They're  understanding,  stick  up  for  you,  and  you  can  trust  them.  I  love  how  abstract  the  characters  are,  at  first  Zack  was  the  stereotypical  pervy  stud  but  then  when  it  was  revealed  he'd  never  had  sex  before  I  almost  went  crazy  because  it  was  the  last  thing  I'd  ever  expected.  I  couldn't  help  but  love  it.  And  Bethany  was  also  great  and  one  of  those  girls  you  just  want  to  hang  out  with.  I  loved  them  both.
The  side  characters  were  also  great,  showing  they  aren't  wildly  unrealistic,  but  more  like  your  neighbors.  One  of  the  things  I  like  most  about  Jennifer  Brown  is  that  she  makes  the  characters  real and  even  gives  a  human  side  to  the  antagonists  who  do  inhumane  things  (wait,  was  Nick  the  antagonist  of  Hate List?  He  may  have  started  a  school  shooting  and  all  but  I  just  couldn't  see  him  as  the  villain.).
Colorado was  a  main  part  of  the  story  and  I  was  having  Julie  Anne  Peters  flashbacks  (I  can't  help  it  almost  all  her  books  are  set  there).  Alex  wants  to  go  to  find  herself  and  her  mother  and  I  could  relate  to  the  whole  finding  yourself,  finding  others  thing  and  it  helped  me  relate  to  her  even  more, proving  how  human  she  is.    
The  plot  was  realistic  and  very  every  day  life.  It  wasn't  crazy  and  definitely  hits  close  to  home.  I  was  scared  of  not  liking  this,  but  I  did.  Everything  I  could  picture  happening,  the  abandonment  at  the  party,  what  happened  after  the  basketball  game,  everything.   

So  will  I  read  Jennifer  Brown's  other  novels?  Yes.         
4  out  of  5  stars.  Read  this,  it's  a  great  book  to read  after  Hate  List

No comments:

Post a Comment