Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Devil's Arithmetic By Jane Yolen Review


Man,  I  was  crying  by  the  end  of  this  book.  I  just  have  to  say  it.  I  haven't  been  moved  by  a  book  about  the  Holocaust  so  much  since  Malka  (which  Jane  Yolen  reviewed  and  she  also  loved  it  like  I  did). 
Hannah  is  just  like  any  other  twelve  year  old.  She  hangs  out  with  friends,  watches  TV,  and  enjoys  her  life.  Things  like  the  Holocaust  are  things  that  sadly  happened  but  we  can't  do  shit  to  stop  them  because  well. . . .  we  can't  go  back  in  time.  So  why  bother  even  learning  about  them?  She  hates  Seder,  every  year  her  Grandpa  just  goes  on  and  on  about  it,  showing  his  tattoo  and  telling  what  happened.  So  when  Hannah  ends  up  opening  the  door  for  Elijah  the  prophet,  she  finds  she  may  not  be  who  she  thinks  she  is.  She  may  have  been  Hannah,  a  girl  she  dreamed  while  she  was  sick  and her  parents  died  and  really  be  Chaya,  a  Jewish  girl  in  1942  in  a  Polish  Jewish  village.  Maybe  she's  both,  Chaya  was  her  Hebrew  name.  

This  book  was  extremely  short  and  I  finished  it  in  one  night,  about  three  hours.  I  could  relate  to  Hannah,  despite  not  being  Jewish  (both  the  race  and  religion).  Back  in  the  days  when  I  was  a  Christian  I  was  actually  afraid  of  reading  this  book  because  it  had  the  word  "Devil"  on  it  (I'm  having  flashbacks  to  You  Don't  Know  About  Me  right  now).  So  after  starting  to  deeply  research  the  Holocaust  since  I'm  writing  a  novel  about  it,  I  decided  to  read  this.
Lots  of  kids  in  my  class  felt  like  Hannah  when  we  learned  about  the  Holocaust.  I  was  more  of  Grandpa  Will  in  that  case  and  I  was  more  enthusiastic  learning  about  it.  It  broke  my  heart  and  the  idea  of  what  happened  alone  isn't  human.  I've  in  a  way  been  obsessed  with  Holocaust  research  since  then  (Bent  and  Swing  Kids  are  now  some  of  my  favorite  movies,  Number  The  Stars  and  Malka  now  eternally  live  in  my  room,  I've  watched  the  entire  documentary  of  Paragraph  175,  cried  at  all  the  rapes  that  happened  to  women,  even  met  an  Auschwitz  survivor,  plus  I  can  go  on  and  on,  but  back  to  The  Devil's  Arithmetic).  But  they,  like  Hannah,  changed  their  feelings  about  it  and  what  happened  there  is  entirely  unforgivable.  
The  Jewish  village  was  well  described,  full  of   perfectly  normal  people.  It  was  a  pretty  backwards  place  if  you  know  what  I  mean,  girls  can't  go  to school,  no  plumbing,  milk  has  "things"  in  it.  But  the  descriptions  fit  my  research.  The  people  invented  there  all  have  a  way  of  getting  into  your  heart.  The  one  that  stuck  the  story  so  close  to  home  was  Rivka  for  me,  mainly  because  of  the  ending  (the  ending  and  notes  at  the  end  broke  my  heart).  When  Rivka  told  them  how  to  read  their  numbers  I  was  shocked  and  sad  at  the  same  time.  You  know  the  scene  where  Magneeto  was  looking  at  his  tattoo  in  X-Men  First  Class?  I  was  thinking  of  that  and  the  idea of  forever  wearing  the  tattoo.  I've  always  wondered  if  they  were  allowed  to  be  buried  in  Jewish  cemeteries  even  though  it's  forbidden  to  be  buried  in  one  because  tattoos  are  considered  an  offense  to  God  in  the  Torah.  It's  hard  to  imagine  how  people  can  still  wear  that.  The  hair  shaving  was  terrible,  losing  the  beautiful  braids  in  the  vain  hope  that  you  won't  catch  lice.
The  camp  was  well  researched  although  it  wasn't  Auschwitz.  I  didn't  understand  why  the  Auschwitz  sign  had  to  be  there.  Like  all  camps,  each  one  was  different.  This  one  was  torture,  but  compared  to  other  camps,  heaven.  The  camp  was  mainly  based  on  Auschwitz,  but  I  was  having  signs  of  Ravensbruck. The  ending  also  reminded  me  of  The  Boy  In  The  Striped  Pajamas,  they  were  in  a  way  almost  the  same  and  both  made  me  cry.
I  admit,  a  lot  of  books  about  the  Holocaust  make  me  cry,  a  lot  of  movies  do,  to.  It's  just  so  hard  not  to  cry.  This  one  definitely stuck  with  me.

4  out  of  5  stars.
The  Devil's  Arithmetic,  like  Number  The  Stars,  both  had  math  in  them.  One  counting  deaths,  the  other  all  those  in  the  universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment