Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

XVI by Julia Karr Review

This  book  took  me  so  long  to  read,  it  was  that  painful.  It  confused  me  at  times  and  at  others  I  just  wanted  to  scream.  Long  story  short:  I  DID  NOT  like  this  book.

So,  let's  begin  this  review.
The  world  building  was  awful  and  had  no  explanation  whatsoever  on  anything.  Here's  examples:
1.  You  call  cars  "trannies"?  Every  time  I  read  that  I  continued  to  think  of  transgenders,  which  of  course  the  book  has  none.  It  never  told  why  that  happened  or  how  a  word  associated  with  people  who  are  the  opposite  gender  born  in  the  wrong  body  became  cars,  so  like  other  viewers  pointed  out  on  Goodreads  and  Amazon  (many  of  them  also  thinking  of  transgenders  and  transsexuals  during  this)  considered  useless.  Books  have  parts  that  can  tick  me  off,  that  definitely  did.
2.  Everyone's  vegetarian?  I  guess  the  author  is  one  and  decided  everyone  in  this  world  should  be,  too.  There  was  no  explanation  at  how  this  happened  and  made  the  times  when  everyone  ate  have  that  stick  in  my  head.  There  has  to  be  good  reasoning  for  it,  but  there  is  none.  And  yet  they  still  breed  animals?  Do  they  keep  them  under  constant  guidance  so  they  don't  breed  too  much  because  without  eating  them  they  just  stand  around  in  zoos,  clearly  they  have  to  make  sure  they  don't  take  up  too  much  space.
3.  The  Reproductive  Rights  of  Women.  This  was  mentioned  in  the  book  and  I  found  it  hard  to  believe.  This  society  seems  like  the  last  place  where  women  would  be  shooting  out  babies,  you'd  think  this  society  mastered  birth  control!  But  no,  girls  have  constant  sex  but  they  still  get  pregnant  because  of  it.  Wow.
4.  The  Tattoo.  The  tattoo  seemed  useless,  why  bother  with  it  because  I'm  sure  forty  year  old  men  had  sex  with  their  six  year  old  daughter,  anyway. 
5.  Slut  Shaming.  All  that  ever  happened  was  Sandy  got  slut  shamed,  by  her  clothes,  by  the  way  she  acted,  just  for  having  a  freaking  sexuality!  I  know  women  have  strong  sexual  desires  like  men,  forget  the  good  girl  crap!  She's  also  super  stupid,  a  total  stereotype!  Sandy  is  treated  like  dirt,  by  people  who  apparently  don't  have  sex  and  therefore  are  above  them.  Thank  you  Julia  Karr,  you  can  go  back  to  your  abstinence  only  education  class!  It's  the  only  class  I  seem  to  fail  in  (I've  been  in  one  before  and  it's  like  birth  control  doesn't  even  exist,  needless  to  say  I  plan  on  finding  some  way  out  of  it  this  year.  If  I  don't  I'm  actually  tempted  to  buy  a  pleasure  pack  from  the  gas  station  just  so  I  can  break  the  teacher  into  at  least  acknowledging  it).  And  of  course  the  stereotype  of  teens  take  control  of  their  sexuality  and  then  someone  dies  (Sarah  Dessen's  Someone  Like  You  ring  a  bell?)!  In  this  case,  she  dies.  Wow.
6.  How  Did  This Happen?  It  wasn't  explained  at  all  other  than  there  was some  treaty,  which  still  had  no  explanation.  Really?  People  live  on  Venus  for  crying  out  loud  and  it  wasn't  explained  at  all!  I  mean  that  would  have  to  some  serious  changes  for  humans  to  even  be  able  to  reach  the  surface!  Can  you  take  a  science  lesson?  Why  aren't  there  more  outspoken  Christians  because  there  are  a  few  churches  left,  and  I  may  be an  Atheist  but  I  have  some  of  Jesus  Freaks  and  there  were  people  against  the  Nazis,  the  Romans,  and  the  Soviet  Union,  clearly  there  would  be  a  bunch  of  JF's  there.  So  do  I  find  this  realistic?  With  no  explanation,  then  no,  I  don't.
7.  George  Orwell.  I  was  sick  at  the  constant 1984  references.  1984  was  a  great  book,  and  it  was  anti-sex  (Brave  New  World  however  was  far  more  believable).  This  place  had  a  bunch  of  dead  zones  (gee,  wouldn't  the  government  worry  about  that?)  but  in  Orwell's  even  the  Proles  land  was  dangerous.  And  wouldn't  you  think  she  wold  have  mentioned  Brave  New  World  of  all  books?  The  promiscuity  (although  women  were  much  better  treated  in  Huxley's  and  far  more  believable),  the  tight  cast  system,  but  I'm  sure  Karr's  never  even  read  a  single  work  by  Huxley!  I  have  no  more  to  say  on  this.
8.  GLBT.  So  are  there  any  gays  or  lesbians?  I  expect  to  see  rent  boys  running  around  because  gays  won't  fall off  the  earth.  I  could  easily  believe  those  government  leaders  had  sex  with  men,  too.  And  trans?  No,  they're  just  cars.
9.  AVEN.  I  could  understand  more  if  Nina  were  asexual,  but  no  she's  a  heterosexual  but  won't  have  sex,  which  can  be  fine,  but  in  the  end,  no.  There  aren't  any  asexuals  in  this  book,  either.  No  gays,  lesbians,  transgenders  and  transsexuals,  hey  probably  even  transvestites  for  crying  out  loud,  asexuals, or  dodo  birds. 

I  don't  consider  this  a  feminist  work.  The  men  are  sex  monsters,  the  women  are  too  dang  submissive,  and  it  reminds  me  too  much  of  Christian  stereotypes.  I  didn't  like  this  at  all,  and  it  felt  like  it  wa s written  for  a  church.

I  give  this  one  tiny  little  star.  I  hated  this  book  and  I  won't  bother  with  the  sequel.

Read  instead:
Brave  New  World  by  Aldous  Huxley
1984  by  George  Orwell
Heck,  may  as  well  go  read  Naomi  Wolf  for  crying  out  loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment