Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Possession by Elana Johnson Review


Yeah,  another  Amazon  cover  in  which  I'm  too  lazy  to  remove  the  "Click  to  look  inside!"  thing.
I  read  this  book  a  month  ago  but  never  posted  a  review, so  here  it  is.
Summary:
Vi,  a  teenager  who's  arranged  to  marry  her  match  Zenn,  is  a  goodie.  She  isn't  a  dreaded  Baddie.  She  however  breaks  rules  by  cutting  and  dying  her  hair,  walking  with  her  boyfriend,  and  not  listening  to  her  transmissions.  She's  put  in  prison  for  a  guy  she  falls  in love  with  a  baddie  named  Jag.  

Reasons  I  Didn't  Like  This  Book:
1.  Started  well,  stopped  around  page  twenty-five.  At  first  I  thought  the  mind  control  was  creepy,  but  then  it  lost  its  effect.
2.  The  Romance.  Boring,  the  whole  plot  of  the  book.
3.  Better  Brainwashing.  Some  people  just  wouldn't  plug  something  into  the  wall,  really.  Aldous  Huxley  used  a  better  method  in  Brave  New  World  where  children  listened  to  rhymes over  and  over  while  they  slept  peacefully.  It  couldn't  be  unplugged,  but  put  in  a  bad  rhyme  and  you're  doomed  to  an  island.  Huxley  clearly  knew  what  he  was  doing  in  1932
3.  The  Rules.  Don't  people  need  vitamin  D  from  the  sun  and  can't  cover  everything?  Most  of  the  rules  are  unexplained  like  most  teen  "dystopias"  and  therefore  are  useless.  
 4.  Anyone  Gay?  When  it  mentioned  girls  walking  with  girls  and  boys  with  boys  I  thought  it  meant  they  were  gay,  but  instead  they  were  "civilized".  This  ticked  me  off  and  of  course  gays  aren't  mentioned.
5.  The  Names.  Greenie,  Goodie,  Baddie,  really.
6.  Vi's  Dad.  He  was  a  boring  "antagonist".  Vi  mentions  her  mother  had  a  loveless  marriage  to  him.  To  be  honest,  most  arranged  marriages  through  history  involved  neither  of  the  spouses  loving  each  other,  it's  sad  and  simple.
7.  The  Action  Was  Boring.  And  the  book  really  confused  me,  it  was  too  hard to  understand.
8.  How  Did  This  Happen?  Elana  Johnson  on  her  own  blog  admits  she  hadn't  bothered  with  a  backstory  for  Possession!  I  mean  it  was  confusing  enough,  but  really?  This  was  too  hard  to  believe  considering  there  are  sadly  far  more  believable  forms  of  mind  control.
9.  Not  Having  Pets.  This  reminded  me  of  a  scene  in  the  movie  Equilibrium  (Christian  Bale!),  as  in  way  a  lot.
10.  George  Orwell  much?  The  ending  made  me  think  of  1984,  only  cheesier  and  with  no  rats. 

Really,  I  can't  think  of  any  part  I  liked  about  this  book.  I  remember  seeing  it  in  the  store  and  thinking  it  sounded  great,  I  almost  even  bought  it  (thankfully  I  bought  Hate  List  and  Julie  Anne  Peter's  She  Loves  You,  She  Loves  You  Not  instead,  which  are  also  two  of  my  most  favorite  books,  this  one  definitely  not  one).  So  I'm  glad  I  spent  the  cash  instead  on  Jennifer  Brown  and  Julie  Anne  Peters!
Thank  you  Pulse  it!  http://www.simonandschuster.com/specials/pulseit/index.html

1  tiny  little  star.

What  do  I  reccomend  instead  of  this?
Brave  New  World  by  Aldous  Huxley
1984  and  Animal  Farm  (yes,  a  book  about  pigs)  by  George  Orwell
The  Giver  by  Lois  Lowry  since  it  also  shares  similar  themes
Christian  Bale's  Equilibrium  (yeah,  it's  a  movie,  but  hey  it's  better)

No comments:

Post a Comment