Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Matched by Allie Condie Review


I  read  this  book  last  year  during  Christmas  break,  I  forgot  whether  I  finished  it  before  or  after  Christmas.  At  first  I  thought  it  was  another  stupid  YA  romance  novel  but  I  discovered  it  was  a  "dystopia"  (before  I  read  it  there  were  no  quotation  marks)  and  I  thought  it  sounded  cool  so  I  picked  it  up  at  the  library  (pretty  much  like  every  other  book  I  read).  I  didn't  like  it,  but  I  read  the  entire  thing  pretty  quickly.  Needless  to  say  it  bored  me,  I  wasn't  much  for  the  romance,  and  it  was  so  bad  it  got  stuck  in  my  head  for  months.  Even  back after  I  finished  it  I  just  couldn't  fathom  it  as  a  dystopia.  So  here's  my  review.  Get  ready.

Reasons  Why  I  Didn't  Like  This  Book:
1.  Lois  Lowry.  The  pills,  the  death  of  the  old  people  and  the  fact  they're  all  sent  to  a  retirement  home,  the  arranged  marriages,  jobs  and  food  being  chosen  for  you,  (it  isn't  explained  why  in  here  they  do  it,  but  Lois  Lowry  had  great  reasons  why  in  The  Giver),  all  were  copied  from  The  GiverThe  Giver  is  one of  the  best  novels  I've  ever  read,  this  definitely  not.  When  you  copy  Lois  Lowry  and  I read  it  you're  doomed  (I'm  speaking  to  you  guys,  too,  Elana  Johnson  and  Lauren  Oliver)!
2.  Divorce.  So  what  happens?  Do  they  just  take  their  pill  and  it's ok?  Bleh.  And  honestly,  if  it's  going  to  be  two  people  meeting  each  other  who  they  never  knew  then  I  just  don't  understand  how  they'll  actually  get  along  unless  they  have  a  while  to  build  the  relationship.  So  Cassia  and  Kai,  let's  just  say  it's  nothing  more  than  a  high  school  cliche.
3.  Kai  as  an  Invalid?  His  parents  were  murdered  so  now  he  can't  get  married  and  have  kids?  This  makes  no  sense  at  all.  I'm  guessing  the  sins  of  the  father  are  the  sins  of  the  son.
4.  Their  Tablets.  So  you  make  an  important  letter  sound  like  a  love  letter?  Really,  that  just  didn't  make  sense  because  eventually  you  won't  want  someone  to  see  something  even  if  legal  by  the  government.
5.  100  Everythings.  This  gets  boring  pretty  quickly,  especially  packing  people  into  theaters  to  listen  to  a  song.  Ever  heard  of  CD's  or  is  that  too  horrible?
6.  Possible  Forced  Abortion.  So  at  31  no  more  kids  and  if  the  woman  is  say  nine  months  pregnant  you'll  just  abort  it  or  something?  And  what  if  she  already  has  dried  up  ovaries  or  is  infertile?  The  fact  that  Cassia  was  so  pretty  and  I  think  used  makeup  on  her  matching  night  means  her  ovaries  could  already  be  done  for  (yes  pretty  women,  give  birth  now  because  tomorrow  you'll  become  useless)!  Even  Tiller  did  late  term  abortions,  but  only  if  it  was  because  the  woman  or  her  the  kid's  health.  Yes,  I've  read  about  women  in  China  eagerly  having  late  term  abortions  when  they're  seven,  eight,  nine  months  prenant  but  in  this  they  were  scared.  Someone  should  eventually  get  mad  because  of  this.  I  hate  sex  seletive abortion  and  forced abortion  (both  happening  here  in  the  U.S.A.  and  China,  China  having  a  lot  more)  so  Condie  should  read  up  about  these  issues  to  sound  relevant!
7.  Kai  and  Xander.  I  liked  Xander  more,  but  both  of  them  I  couldn't  believe  to  be  actual  romantic  partners  with  Cassia,  no  way  Hose  (sorry  if  spelled wrong,  I  skipped  my  Spanish  elective  so  I  could  take  technology).
8.  Is  Anyone  Gay  at  all?  Any  Aces?  I  couldn't  understand  the  singles  very  well.  Some  could  be  asexual,  the  rest  I  don't  know.  And  just  like  every  other  teen  "dystopian"  there  were  no  gays!  How  original!

1  star  and  that's  it!  But  I  know  some  people  will  like  it,  so  read  it  if  you  think  you'll  like  it,  I  didn't.

Some  books  to  read  instead:
The  Giver  by  Lois  Lowry  along  with  Gathering  Blue  and  Messenger   
I  can't  think  of  any  more  because  that  was  the  dystopia  it  was  most  related  to,  although  it  shared  like  one  or  two  tiny  aspects  with  Brave  New  World,  another  read

No comments:

Post a Comment