Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood Review

Another  Margaret  Atwood  novel. . . .  :)  Anyway,  I  now  consider  this  my  favorite  Atwood  novel,  I  liked  it  even  more  than  The  Handmaid's  Tale.  So,  this  is  a  pretty  happy  blog  post.
Summary:
Joan  Foster  is  currently  dead  and  living  in  Rome.  Hoping  no  one  will  recognize  her  and  realize  she  faked  her  death,  she  dyes  her  hair  an  ugly  shade  of  brown  and  her  current  name  is  Louisa  K.  Delacourt,  the  name  of  her  aunt.  She  learns  of  her  feminist  poetry  collection,  Lady  Oracle,  is  selling  to  the  wazoo.  She's  seeing  her  dead  mother  often,  beckoning  her  to  die  too  so  they  can  be  together.  She  does  Automatic  Writing  even  more  and  it  getting  back  to  work  on  her  Gothic  romances  that  would  make  you  question  her  as  a  feminist.  She  has  an  evil  shadow,  her  former  self  who  was  fat  and  refuses  to  leave  her.  She  has  a  love  triangle  going  on  between  a  Canadian  anti-bomb  radical  and  a  Polish  count  and  misses  an  Italian  man  who  asked  to  marry  her.  Her  mother  was worried  about  her  being  with  boys,  anyway  because  she  thinks  they're  all  pedophiles  or  rapists  (Marilyn  French,  anyone?).  She  doesn't  know  how  this  could  have  happened,  who  would  want  to  marry  a  mothball  (the  mothball  scene  was  easily  my  favorite  scene  in  the  book)?  She  is  considered  Satan  to  the  towns  people  because  a  death  cult  was  made  because  of  her  and  she's  a  famous  Spiritualist.  In  other  words  it  was  crazy  satire.

Reasons  why  I  LOVED  this  Book  with  All  of  My  Bleeding  Heart: 
1.  Joan.  I  could  relate  to  her  somehow  even  though  I'm  only  a  teenager  and  she  weighed  more  than  I  can  imagine  myself  weighing.  She  was  a  very  funny  character,  I'm  not  used  to  humor  in  Atwood's  book  and  I  knew  from  reviews  it  was  funny,  but  I  was  scared  I  wouldn't  think  they  were  funny.  However,  Margaret  Atwood  did  it!  I  was  laughing  so  hard  at  Joan's  sarcasm  and  her  past  events.  I  also  felt  bad  for  her,  living  a  pretty  depressing  high  school  life  where  she's  nothing  more  than  a  relationship  counselor.  In  the  mothball  scene  I  both  felt  sad  for  her  and  yet  was  laughing  like  crazy.  I  thought  her  melodramatic  relationships  were  pretty  cool,  too  since  I've  been  reading  so  many  lately  that  they  make  me  want  to  puke.  She  makes  fun  of  love  at  first  sight  and  satires  the  so  called  importance  of  virginity  in  women  ("Oh  no  man  will  ever  want  to  marry  you!").  She  also  mocks  teenage  mothers  who  marry  early  because  it's  easily  explained  that  it  won't  work  out  well  unless  you  really  put  in  an  effort  rather  than  gender  roles  which  is  something  every  sexually  active  teen  should  know,  no  matter what  sexuality.  She  makes  Girl  Scouts  seem  both  in  the  limelight  and  at  the  same  time  in  the  torture  chambers,  my  views  of  it  are  pretty  much  the  exact  same  (I  always  wanted  to  be  a  Boy  Scout,  they  obviously  do  better  stuff  than  Girl  Scouts,  but  they  won't  allow  Atheists  or  gay  males  to  join  so  I  am  against  it).  She  even  makes  fun  of  the  constant  warnings  of  pedophiles  which  were  both  funny  and  serious.  She  makes  fun  of  the  whole  "boys  ask  for  sex  first,  good  girls  don't  have  sexual  attraction  and  wait  until  they're  converted  into  Christianity  and  get  married".
2.  Arthur.  That  man  ruled!  He  was  either  insane  or  super  epic,  I  can't  tell  which.  He  dreams  of  exploding  the  Peace  Bridge,  he  fears  the  Mounties,  and  seems  to  take  life  casually,  in  a  crazy  way.  OK,  he  might  be  a  terrorist  in  some  way,  but  I  still  like  him.
3.  The  Royal  Porcopine.  Another  epic  dude,  I  mean  he  exploded  a  pond!  He was  so  funny  and  always  finding  ways  to  "recycle"  things.  Con-create  poet  rules!  And  let's  not  forget,  suicide  because  of  love!
4.  Aunt  Lou.  I  cried  so  hard  when  she  died!  She  was  a  great  character  who  was  really  funny,  thoughtful,  and  the  crazy  aunt  of  everyone's  dreams.  She's  fine  with  being  fat,  something  that  seems  hard  for  most  people  to  accept.  She  was  my  second  favorite  character.  I'll  just  go  sob  like  those  movies  she  and  Joan  watched  at  the  theater!
5.  Joan  and  Arthur's  Wedding.  Traditional  marriage  my  foot!

So,  I  just  have  to  say  it  was  a  brilliant  work  of  satire  that  hits  you  hard.  I  definitely  reccomend  this  and  believe  you  should  read  it.  It  was  a  very  quick  read  and  well  worth  the  five  stars  I  gave  it!  Margaret  Atwood  went  above  and  beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment