Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes Review


This  is  another  book  where  I  loved  when  I  finished  the  book. . .  Because  it  no  longer could  hold  me  down;  but  in  this  case  I  was  no  longer falling  down  a  hell  hole! 
So,  I  didn't  have  the  highest  hopes  for  this  book,  I  barely  was  able  to  continue  reading  the  324  pages  of  damnation.  What  was  so  great  about  this  book?  I  don't  know  because  I  didn't  consider  it  a  great  "romance"  or  "a  sexy  novel  (whatever  that  means)". 
So  as  always,  the  numbered  list  of  why  I  didn't  like  this  book.
1.  I  am  a  feminist  carved  in  stone.  I  believe  human  romantic  relationships  are  good  for  those  who  want  to  be  in  a  healthy  one,  but  this  made  me  want  to  puke.  It  had  so  much  lust  that  I  almost  thought  Haden  would  rape  Thea.  I  found  their  relationship  to  be  shallow  and  utterly  boring.  Nothing  "sexy"  (I  still  don't  understand  how  a  book  is  "sexy",  but  then  again  the  closest  I've  ever  read  to  "sexy"  is  when  it's  by  Judy  Blume  or  Stephen  King,  and  his  sex  scenes  aren't  the  kind  you  find  in  movies,  mind  that)  about  it.  I  was  even  disappointed  by  the  (almost)  sex  scene  and  I  could  care  less  about  them  but  in  this  kind  of  book  I  expect  something  raw,  not  romantic,  cold  hard  sex.  I  expect  "fucking",  Margaret  Atwood's  term,  where  it  isn't  rape  but  it  isn't  orgasm  sex  not  they  began  kissing  each  other.  Gag.  It  was  the  reincarnation  of  Edward  and  Bella  (who  also  sucked).
2.  Religion?  Like  all  angel/demon  books  I  need  to  know  if  there  is  a  deity  or  not  and  if  they  are  significant.  There  was  none  in  this  book,  making  you  wonder.
3.  The  Narrative.  I  didn't  like  Thea's  narrating,  it  bored  me.  She  was  a  pretty  flat  character  and  sometimes  I  couldn't  understand  anything  about  her.  She  said  she  could  only  read  "classic"  literature  (she  loves  Jane  Austen,  who  makes  me  gag,  I  am  guessing  where  the  "romance"  is  coming  from)  but  she  knows  what  Twilight  is  and  she  fits  into  the  cliche  of  "girl  gets  all  depressed,  possibly  kills  herself  because  of  boyfriend".  Yes  some  girls  will  swallow  a  whole  bottle  of  pills  because they  broke  up,  but  this  I  couldn't  believe.  Thea  failed  as  a  character,  Haden  running  behind.  Summing  up  Thea:  Thea  is  the  daughter  of  an  overprotective  father  who  is  hard  to  describe  or  believe  and  has  few  friends.
4.  The  Last,  Somewhat  "Exciting"  Pages.  I  couldn't  quite  grip  either  Thea  or  Haden,  they  were  too  confusing.  (Major  spoiler  alert)  I  couldn't  understand  how  Thea  was  abducted,  she  seemed  too  willing  and  submissive.
5.  The  "Antagonists".  I  couldn't  believe  Thea's  Dad  to  be  an  antagonist,  I  couldn't  believe  Mara  to be  an  antagonist,  I  couldn't  believe  Thea  to  be  an  antagonist,  I  couldn't  believe  anyone  to  be  an  antagonist.
6.  Haden  is  So  "Hot".  So  if  a  bunch  of  girls  are  attracted  to  him  than  what  about  gay  guys?  He  could  have  a  whole  rainbow  of  them!  And  are  lesbians  attracted  to  him?  It  makes  no  sense.  It  doesn't  state  whether  they're  in  north  or  south  California,  up  north  it's  more  conservative  while  down  south  it's  more  liberal.  And  is  Varnie  gay?  I  really  want  to  know  since  I  believe  he  is!  

Reasons  I  Sort  of  Liked  this  Book  and  it  at  Least  Got  Two  Stars:
1.  The  Side  Characters.  I  loved  Ame,  Donny,  Gabe,  and  Varnie!  They  had  so  much  more  personality  than  Thea!
2.  Hell.  It  wasn't  fire  and  brimstone,  but  I  sort  of  liked  the  skeletons.  Sadly,  I  thought  of  the  underworld  a  lot  and  it  made  me  think  way  too  much  of  Meg  Cabot's  Abandon,  a  far  better  book.

Books  I  recommend  instead:
Abandon  by  Meg  Cabot
I  can't  think of  anything  else  and  I  hate  Twilight  and  all  the  books  like  it.  So  I  guess  I  recommend  Vampires  Suck?  Really  I  just  think  you  should  watch  the  parody.

2  out  of  5  stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment