Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Across The Universe by Beth Revis Review


How  do  I  quickly  summarize  this?  LOVE!  I  thought  this  book  was  amazing!  So  I'll  quit  the  "I  loved  this"  crap  and  here's  my  review.  Lots  of  spoliers,  read  at  your  own  risk.
Review:
In  today's  time,  people  are  being  cryogenically  frozen  to  board  a  spaceship  called  Godspeed.  It's  headed  for  another  planet  supposedly  like  earth,  the  flight  only  to  take  about  300  years.  One  of  the  frozen  people  is  Amy,  your  average  teenage  girl.  She  has  her  fears,  dreams,  her  boyfriend  Jason  (who  was  not  my  favorite,  but  he  was  a  well  thought  out  character),  and  loved  her  parents.  She  has  the choice  of  whether  to  get  frozen  or  not,  and  she  does. 
Elder  is  training  to  be  Eldest  of  the  ship  and  become  leader.  He  is  a  curious  kid  and  a  great  character.  I  liked  him  more  than  Jason. 
Anyway,  Amy  gets  unfrozen  and  is  told  she  can't  be  refrozen.  The  ship  will  land  in  like  75  years  (I  forgot  how  much  exactly,  it  may  be  right)  and  by  then  she  would  have  aged.  Amy  is  really  mad  and  won't  talk  to  anyone,  but  eventually  friends  Elder  and  some  of  his  buddies.  Eldest  tells  everyone  Amy  is  a  freak  and  few  people  accept  her.  Elder  is  in  lust  (although  it's  the  healthy  kind,  and  eventually  a  romance)  with  her.
Amy:  My  favorite,  I  love  her  attitude.  She  was  easily  the  best  character  next  to  Steala.  Elder  was  cool  and  Eldest  was  a  good  villian.  I  never  saw  the  twists  coming  and  I  enjoyed  this  book  a  lot.   It's  just  so  hard  to  describe  without  going  crazy  on  it's  goodness!

So  my  only  problems  were:
1.  Sexual  hormones  in  the  water.  When  it  really  comes  to  sex,  people  wouldn't  be  kissing.  Also,  what  about  the  gays  on  the  ship?  But  other  than  that  the  hormones  were  a  good  idea.
2.  Religion.  As  an  Atheist  I  wasn't  offended  by  the  religions  being  considered  myths  or  causing  problems  because  religion  causes  problems  (religious  people  will  find  this  offensive).  But  bringing  in  the  cross  and  the  Bibles?  I  just  couldn't  stand  it.
3.  The  "Foul"  Language.  Ok,  I  can  handle  frexing  for  fucking  (and  frex for  fuck),  but  shite  for  shit?  It's  pretty  lazy  just  putting  an  e  on  the  end  and  pronouncing  it  differently.      

All  in  all,  5  stars  and  for  once  I  read  something  good!

No comments:

Post a Comment