Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Making of a Feminist Character 1#: Trixie

Making  a  feminist  character  can  seem  hard,  sometimes  it  is,  sometimes  it  isn't.  They  can  be  both  male  or  female  (I  plan  on  writing  a  feminist  novel  from  the  POV  of  a  male  feminist),  and  can  be  any  age.  Making  one  should  also  be  fun,  I  mean  they'll  be  in  a  book  or  TV  show.  They  need  a  personality  and  need  to  avoid  anti-feminist  tropes.  So  here  I'll  showcase  various  childrens  and  YA  feminist  characters  from  TV  and  books.  
There  she  (today  our  feminist  is  a  girl)  is,  Trixie!
Trixie  is  your  normal  pre-K  little  girl  (I'm  going  to  be  honest,  I've  only  read  Knuffle  Bunny  one  and  two,  I'll  make  sure  to  read  the  third  soon).  She  has  two  loving  parents,  friends  (her  best  friends  being  her  stuffed  rabbit  Knuffle  Bunny  and  Sonja  from  school),  and  does  normal  stuff  kids  her  age  do,  like  taking  her  Knuffle  Bunny  to  school.
I'm  sure  Mo  Willems  had  fun  making  Trixie,  I  mean  she's  such  a  fun  character  to  read  (that's  my  deep  inner  picture  book  junkie  for  you).  I  like seeing  her  age  from  a  little(er)  girl  to  a  pre-K-er.  She's  drawn  very  nicely  and  the  background  photos  are  awesome.  
Trixie  is  a  strong  female character,  determined  to  save  her  Knuffle  Bunny  and protect  her  bunny  from  harm  (I  know  this  isn't  Xena  strong  female  character,  but  five  year  olds  read  this  and  this  is  girl  power  right  here).  She  loves  her  Knuffle  bunny  very  much.  She  and Sonja  are  also  great  friends.  The  books  also  have  great  imagination  in  them  along  with  awesome  art.  They're  also  funny  and  for  all  ages.
And  just  to  let  you  know,  there's  a  real  Knuffle  bunny.  
Aw,  Knuffle  Bunny  in  reality  is  so  cute  and  glow  in  the  dark  green!  :D
I  will  be  posting  another  Making  of  a  Feminist  Character  sometime  soon, I  just  need  to  find one.  Possible  future  characters:
Elephant  and/or  Piggie  from  the  Elephant  and  Piggie  books  by  Mo  Willems
Alicia  from  Things Not  Seen
Isabella  from  Phineas  and  Ferb

No comments:

Post a Comment