Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Everneath By Brodi Ashton Review

Everneath (Everneath, #1)
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I reread this to understand my true feelings on this book. It has lost one star, going from three to two. It's not that this book was awful, but nothing close to the hype.
Nikki has returned to Earth after spending six months (a century in Everneath time) in the Everneath. She wants to say goodbye to her family and friends, having pretty much ruined her goodbye before she left for the Everneath. She's hoping she can reconcile with her family and friends, but it may not be working as she hoped.
Nikki was no one special to me. She had no hobbies, no real quality to her. Did she lose her hobbies in the Everneath? But even before the Feed, she didn't seem to have anything she liked to do. I kept questioning how she spent her time when she wasn't at the Soup Kitchen, doing homework, helping her Dad, or with her friends. She had to have had some free time. She didn't even miss school once, which struck me as odd. I just couldn't see her as a fully rounded person. I also couldn't understand why she didn't accept Cole's offer, considering how much she loved the Fields, and she hadn't liked Cole showing her the Tunnels.
Jack was also pretty bland. He was a very boring love interest. I just couldn't see what he and Nikki saw in each other. We were told they were in love, but never did I EVER feel it.
Cole was a very unrealistic and uninteresting villain. If his band is so famous, how was he able to stay in a small town for so long without millions of people flocking to see his band? If he knew Nikki would never go to the Everneath with him, why did he bother to stay? Why didn't he just force Nikki to go to the Everneath with him? The only real thing I saw in him was that his feelings for Nikki seemed a little more real than Jack's, although both feelings for her were forced.
The other characters had no real development, simply background characters that existed. Of course, it's not say Nikki, Jack, and Cole had great character development, because they did not.
If the book had spent less time focusing on the relationship between Nikki and Cole, and more on the Everneath, I think I would have liked the book better. Nikki seemed very distant to me, and it was unrealistic that she showed no real fear to the Everneath. Fear should have been an easy emotion for her to get back.

Now, let's get into the failure that was the mythology.
First up, would your soul remain in the Everneath?
Were there others who had anchors?
What if Nikki committed suicide while on Earth? Would she escape the Everneath's clutches?
WHY IN THE FUCK IS THEIR EGYPTIAN MYTHOLOGY IN A BOOK ABOUT GREEK MYTHOLOGY? I won't even begin to try to understand that, or else my poor brain will explode.
Also, wouldn't someone eventually find out about the Daughters of Persephone? The kids sound emotionally neglected, so wouldn't one of them eventually crack? What if a Daughter of Persephone committed suicide beforehand? Can a son be given as a Forfeit for the Everneath?
And wouldn't the Everneath be discovered if someone noticed someone go under? What if they say the thing that took Meredith away back to the Everneath? The author tries to make the Everneath sound unknown, but she failed at it.
Her English teacher remarked not knowing Persephone had any daughters, but in Greek mythology Persephone did. Her daughter was Melinoe, and her father was Zeus. Zeus tricked Persephone into sleeping with him because he disguised himself as Hades. It is suggested by others that Hades is Melinoe's father, though. The author obviously skipped some research.

The book kept me reading, but the writing wasn't amazing. This wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't great. Read this only if you want to. I don't regret buying it, but when I read the next book in the series (I will read it), I won't buy it. I honestly can't see where the series is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment