Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Born At Midnight By C.C. Hunter Review

 I  am  Scootaloo.
*TW  For  Slight  Discussion  Of  Rape,  Blatant  Homophobia,  LGBT  Slurs,  Slut-Shaming,  And  Pure  Stupidity*
I'm  glad  to  know  there  is  a  chance  for  me  to  sloppily  rewrite  a  former  book  of  mine  and  get  it  published.  I  can  be  extremely  hateful  to  someone's  personal  situation,  lack  originality,  and  have  page  after  page  of  angst.  That's  Born  At  Midnight.
I  may  as  well  summarize  this  up:  Kylie  was  caught  at  a  party  that  had  drugs.  Her  parents  are  divorcing,  so  they  send  her  to  Shadow  Falls  summer  camp,  a  camp  for  "troubled  teens".  It  turns  out  these  troubled  teens  are  actually  not  troubled  teens,  but  paranormal  creatures.  Kylie  wants  to  deny  it,  but  she  too  is  a  paranormal  creature.
Let  me  tell  you  about  a  YA  novel  I  once  tried  to  write  before  I  realized  what  shit  it  was.  It  involved:
-Vampires  (An  entire  school  just  for  them)
-Angst
-Scenes  where  you  wish  something  would  fucking  happen  already
-Forced  Romance
But  there  was  one  catch  to this!  The  romance  was  gay!  There  were  a  bunch  of  gay,  lesbian,  bisexual,  and  trans*  vampires!  (I'm  serious,  I  was going  to  have  at  least  one  of  every  letter  of  the  LGBT  acronym.)  Before  I  realized  it  sucked,  I  thought  it  was  genius.  Not  only  were  the  vampires  not  going  to  all  be  straight,  but  they  were  not  all  going  to  be  white,  either!  I  didn't  get  that  far  in  the  book,  but  the  main  character's  love  interest  was  Native  American.  There  would  have  been  more  characters  who  weren't  white  later  on,  but  I  didn't  get  very  far.
Anyway,  if  I  did  want  to  rewrite  it,  I'd  have  to  throw  around  a  few  terms  offensive  to  the  LGBT  community,  make  every  fucking  one  straight,  and  have  a  token  non-white  character.  I'd  also  have  to  mock  someone  with  a  serious  medical  condition.  Cause  that's  perfectly  fine,  right  guys?

So,  let's  first  look  at  the  book's  romances  so  we  can  get  them  done  with.  Enter  Jerk  One,  Trey.
Trey:  Sleep  with  me.
Kylie:
So  Trey  goes  and  get's  a  girl  who  will  sleep  with  him.  It  is  bad,  but  so  is  calling  the  girl  a  slut  multiple  times.

Enter  Derek  to  stage  right.
Derek:  "I'm  Fae."
Kylie:  "Oh  so  cool.  He  must  say  Fae  cause  any  guy  who's  Fae  that  calls  himself  'fairy'  must  be  gay.  I  mean,  look  at  how  he  walks.  He  so  doesn't  walk  gay."
Derek:  "I  have  this  weird  thing  with  emotions."
Kylie:  "So  you  can  manipulate  girls  to,  you  know?"
Derek:  "I  only  used  them  to  get  a  girl  to  notice  me.  If  I  used  them  to  sleep  with  her,  that'd  be  rape."
Kylie:  "Oh  I  should  have  never  said  that,  I'm  such  a  bitch."  It's  not  like  we  should  be  concerned  that  studies  have  shown  23%  of  men  surveyed  stated  that  rape  is  acceptable  if  the  woman  asks  the  man  out,  the  man  pays  for  dinner,  or  the  woman  goes  back  to  the  man's  room  after the  date,  totally  not  concerned.

Lucas,  stage  left.
Lucas:  "I  know  I  killed  your  cat,  but  I  protected  you  from  bullies.  Also,  I'm  sexy,  so  love  me."
Kylie:  "Oh  what  to  do?  So  sexy,  but  kitty."
Lucas:  "I  got  you  a  new  cat."
Kylie:  "Yay,  I  love  you."

That  is  the  romance  in  a  nutshell.

So,  let's  discuss  why  this  book  is  so  bigoted.
Sarah  is  a  slut.  She's  slept  with  three,  possibly  five  guys.  She  had  a  pregnancy  scare  and  might  not  get  an  abortion.  She  can  flirt  easily  with  guys.
And  Kylie  knows  when  to  tell  a  boy  to  stop,  she's  still  a  virgin,  and  she  can't  flirt  easily.  Clearly  we  should  sympathize  with  her.
I.  Just.  Can't.

It  is  perfectly  acceptable  to  ignore  the  gay  subculture  of  bears  because  clearly  gay  guys  must  be  feminine.  They  MUST  walk  a  certain  way.
You  see  those  guys?  They're  clearly  not  gay  because  they  aren't  feminine.
Also,  it's  perfectly  fine  to  use  "gay"  as  an  insult.  Because  clearly  when  a  guy  vampire  bites  another  guy  by  the  neck  to  turn  him  it's  because  he's  gay  and  not  because  he's  a  fucking  vampire.
Why  am  I  so  mad  at  the  throwing  around  of  gay?  I  get  enough  shit  for  being  a  lesbian  that  I  have  every  right  to  be  mad  at  people  who  throw  around  words  like  "lesbo",  "gay",  "fag",  and  "tranny"  (I'm  not  trans*,  but  I  have  many  trans*  friends).  Those  words  are  never,  ever  OK.

Now  do  any  of  your  relatives/friends  have  brain  tumors?  Have  they  died  from  it?  Well,  it's  not  nearly  as  bad  as  being  a  vampire  or  fairy.  Sure  you  can  live  one  hundred  to  five  hundred  years  as  a  paranormal  creature,  but  OMG!  They're  freaks!  It's  way  better  to  die  a  horrible  death  than  to  be  a  freak!
I  just  can't.  This  is  offensive beyond  reason.

I  reread  this.  It  was  so  bad  that  it  was even  worse  than  last  year  when  I  first  read  it.  What  compelled  me  to  reread  it. . .
The  world  may  never  know.
I  also only  made  it  through  about  160  pages  before  skimming  the  rest.
HOW  DO  YOU  SNEAK  A  LION  INTO  A  CAMP?  Seriously.
It  was  also  offensive  how  it  was  said  paranormals  caused  The  Civil  War.  I  just  can't  understand  what  the  author  thought.  Then  WWII  was  added  as  a  possibility. . .   How  is  this  book  published?
And  that  is  my  jumbled  review  of  this  book,  almost  as  jumbled  as  this  book.  Amaingly,  I'm  rereading  another  book, one  I  am  determined  to  finish.
One  fucking  damn  star.

No comments:

Post a Comment