Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Glee =/= Kind To The Trans* Community

Yes  everyone,  the  famous  "Rocky  Horror  Glee  Show"  is  what  I'm  currently  watching.  You  know  what  I  hate?  Transphobia  (even  though  I'm  not  trans).  Why?  Because  transphobia  is  just  as  wrong  as  homophobia.  But  Glee  doesn't  know  there's  a  "T"  in  "LGBT"  for  some  reason  (or  maybe  I'll  just  blame  Nip/Tuck).  I  mean  what's  a  better  way  to  show  love  and  tolerance  for  difference  in  people  than  to  say  transphobic  slurs?
But  before  we  even  get  to  that,  I'm  going  to  make  a  comment  on  Brittany's  costume  choice  for  Halloween.  What  is  it?  A  peanut  allergy  for  fucking  crying  out  loud.  I've  lived  my  entire  fucking  life  with  a  peanut  allergy  and  had  two  reactions,  one  of  which  almost  killed  me.  Yes,  I  have  such  a  severe  peanut  (and  nut)  allergy  that  I  can  die  because  of  it.  Am  I  supposed  to  find  this  line  funny?  I  was  bullied  as  a  kid  for  having  that  allergy,  my  allergy  defining  me.  People  literally  waved  peanut  butter  sandwiches  in  front  of  me,  almost  touching  me  with  it.  My  early  childhood  up  to  about  sixth  grade  was  defined  mainly  by  my  allergy  (now  almost  no  one  knows  I  have  it).  So  should  I  be  "LOLing"  at  this?  FUCK  NO.  If  anti-gay  bullying  is  bad  (it  is),  why  isn't  bullying  someone  for  an  allergy  they  can't  control  not?  If  I'm  having  peanut  butter  purposely  waved  only  a  few  feet  away  from  my  face  should  I  be  concerned?  YES.  And  of  course  no  one  (although  Brittany  was  talking  to  Kurt)  batted  an  eyelash  at  it.  See,  Glee  is  so  respectful  to  people  like  me  who  could  easily  die  because  of  it.  Fuck  this  show  (and  yet  I'll  still  watch  it  to  call  it  out  on  its  bullshit  -  sigh).  I'm  so  glad  something  that  can  easily  make  me  lose  my  life  is  a  fucking  one  line  joke.
OK,  so  enough  on  food  allergies,  onto  transphobia.  Of  course  Glee  is  "pushing  boundaries"  by  removing  any  mention  of  actual  transvestism  (by  a  girl  playing  a  guy  who  dresses  like  a  girl  when  you  can  tell  she  is  a  girl),  and  saying  the  word  "tranny"  without  batting  an  eyelash.  Yep,  you're  really  reaching  for  the  stars,  though  you've  only  made  it  to  the  moon.  I  have  a  prediction  Frank  N.  Furter  isn't  going  to  be  pansexual,  either.
Sue,  guess  what?  Parents  don't  seem  to  encourage  little  boys  to  dress  up  as  little  girls  for  Halloween!  But  this  is  Glee,  where  facts  like  that  somehow  don't  exist. . .  Why  are  the  writers  so  fucking  ignorant?
OK,  since  I'm  still  watching  the  show,  was  the  "Mexican  Terrorist  Ants"  part  needed?  We  have  fucking  problems  in  U.S.A.  with  our  relations  to  Mexico.  But  you  know  Glee,  always  making  offensive  one  liners  no  one  seems  to  care  about.
"Secular  Progressive  Agenda"?
And  of  course  everyone's  more  concerned  when  there  is  no  role  for  Frank  N.  Furter  then  when  the  negative  word  "tranny"  is  used. . .
Yep,  Glee  clearly  doesn't  understand  gender  expression  very  well.  Because  Frank  N.  Furter  was  meant  to  be  sexy,  and  was  meant  to  be  played  by  a  feminine  girl.
"Sensational  Transylvania"?  Because  having  kids  walk  around  on  stage  in  their  underwear  is  perfectly  fine,  but  say  "transsexual"?  Oh  hell  no,  that  is  bad  for  teens!  Oh,  and  you  can  say  the  derogatory  term  "tranny"  but  the  proper  term?  Just  plain  frigging  no.  Mercedes  wanted  to  make  the  song  more  "modern"  by  saying  "Sensational" instead  of  "Transsexual",  cause  you  know,  MewTwo  must  have  wiped  all  the  transsexuals  out  or  something  and  they're  like  dinosaurs.  Of  course  we  don't  have  trans*  students  at  high  schools,  of  course  not.  And  of  course  Frank  N.  Furter  is  supposed  to  have  a  feminine  voice  and  really  look  like  a  girl  rather  than  a  drag  queen  (no  offense  to  drag  queens  everywhere).  The  Glee  writers  need  to  read  the  definition  of  "transvestite"  a  few  hundred  times.  One  of  the  reasons  Rocky  Horror  was  so  famous  was  for  its  cross-dressing!  Of  course  Glee  ignores  this. . .  How  ignorant  are  the  writers?  Let's  not  even  mention  the  gay  teen  who  was  forced  to  remove  his  high  heels  in  school,  since  you  know,  it's  normal  for  teens  to  be  transvestites  at  high  schools.  Do  these  writers  live  under  fucking  rocks  (answer:  Yes)?
Listen  to  the  Glee  version  and  the  original.  Which  one  sounds  like  an  actual  transvestite  male  singing?
Of  course  The  Rocky  Horror  Picture  Show  Glee  version  is  risky  enough,  making  transvestism  and  trans*  people  an  extra  special  risk. How  am  I  still  alive  after  watching  this  bullshit?
This  show  is  giving  me  more  of  a  headache  than  the  Pokemon  Lavender  Town  theme  song.
Of  course  trans*  individuals  aren't  outcasts. . .  What  is  with  all  the  obvious  ignorance  here?
Holy  fuck,  I'm  done  with  the  show!
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
So  what  are  my  final  comments  on  this  episode?
The  writers  of  Glee  are  ignorant  on  gender  issues  (as  I  pointed  above),  trans*  people,  even  Rocky  Horror  itself  (oh,  and  peanut  allergies).
This  shows  transphobia  and  how  deeply  our  society  is  set  into  it  (caring  more  about  a  musical  than  millions  of  people  who  are  trans*),  how  society  likes  sticking  people  into  boxes  (Mercedes  as  a  "transvestite"),  and  even  ignorant  to  the  fact  that  many  parents  get  pissed  at  little  boys  who  dress  up  like  little  girls.  They  were  ignorant  to  some  of  the  important  messages  of  Rocky  Horror  (like  cross-dressing  is  OK)  that  "transsexual"  is  a  word  (because  the  truth  is,  we  still  have  transsexual  and  trans*  people  today,  always  have,  always  will.  Ignoring  trans*  people  isn't  fine  or  caring  about  difference  in  people.  Trans*  people  aren't  a  special  kind  of  evil.  Hell,  if  I  were  on  the  show  they'd  probably  make  fun  of  me  because  I'm  manly.),  and  even  made sure  Rachel  wore  clothes  because  who  would  want  to  see  her  in  her  bra  and  underwear  (OK,  I  wouldn't  want  to  see  that,  ugh,  but  still,  why  have  anyone  in  their  underwear?).
But  I'm  sure  someone  will  ask  why  I'm  so  concerned  about  a  vapid  show  for  teenagers  (except  me,  I'm  a  part  of  the  few  non-Glee  fan  teenagers),  so  why  am  I?  Well  guys,  looking  back,  why  did  I  write  this?  I  mean,  it  is  just  a  TV  show.  I'm  sorry  I  got  so  worked  up  because  I  have  a  pro-trans*  bias,  wanting  equal  rights  for  them  in  every  way  possible.  I'm  sorry  I  got  worked  up  over  such  a  small  comment.  I'm  sorry  I  can't  realize  Glee  must  have  meant  something  else.



I  hope  you  guys  know  what  sarcasm  is.  I  am  not  fucking  sorry  for  standing  up  to  a  group  of  people  who  need  help  when  they  are  beaten  in  bathrooms,  fired  from  their  jobs,  not  allowed  to  be  who  they  are.  I  don't  "tranny"  to  be  a  passing  term,  I  don't  want  it  to  be  the  next  "That's  so  gay!",  I  want  people  to  realize  the  word  is  wrong.  Glee  could  have  said  something  like  "drag  queens"  or  "girl"  or  something  else  instead  of  "tranny".  Glee  could  have  used  a  guy  to  express  gender  identity,  breaking  society's  neat  little  boxes,  but  they  chose  not  to.  I  bet  they  even  had  the  chance,  hell  they  could  have  said  something  else  for  "tranny".  Hell,  Glee  even  used  "tranny"  in  the  original  pilot.  Transphobia  is  rampant  in  our  society,  and  Glee  only  added  to  it.  Hell,  they've  proven  it  in  other  episodes.  You  remember  Kurt  saying  he  wanted  to  run  Logo?  I  don't  watch  much  Logo  (only  The  Big  Gay  Sketch  Show,  oh  how  I  love  TBGSS),  but  I  know  TBGSS  was  accepting  to  trans*  people.  Need  some  examples?  The  trans  hooker  and  Prince  Fitzwilliam  (I'll  donate  you  my  vagina,  Fitzwilliam, I  don't  need  it).  Kurt  would  have  to  learn  to  be  comfortable  with  a  LGBcompany,  or  lose  viewers.  Oh,  I  even  heard  Glee  was  possibly  going  to  have  a  cross  dressing/trans*  character,  but  with  Ryan  Murphy  having  worked  for  Nip/Tuck,  I  hope  it  never happens.  (Nip/Tuck  portrayed  trans  women  offensively.)  Hell,  I'm  sure  the  trans*  character  would  have  so  many  offensive  questions  asked  about  them  (like  if  they'll  show  everyone  their  genitals).
There  is  also  lots  of  transphobia  in  the  gay  community,  which  is  repulsive.  Glee  could  challenge  this,  but  instead  embraces  transphobia  in  gays.
Glee  is  only  a  small  part  of  our  society,  but  has  a  large  fan  base,  probably  with  trans*  viewers.  But  Glee  isn't  a  respectful,  accepting-of-difference  show,  and  if  you  believe  so,  you  are  delusional.  Now  excuse  me  while  I  actually  try  to  help  trans*  people.  Trans*  people  are  not  easy  to  be  replaced,  a  special  evil,  or  a  one  liner  to  be  forgotten,  they  are  human  beings.

Speaking  of  Rocky  Horror,  watch  this  video  where  the  song  "Friends  From  The  Other  Side"  from  The  Princess  and  the  Frog  is  used  with  video  clips  from  Rocky  Horror,  totally  awesome.

So  is  Glee  progressive?  FUCK  NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment