Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Four Kinds of Bitches in Teen Lit (Or Anywhere)

It  seems  four  kinds  of  bitches  parade  YA  lit  and  the  world.  What  are  the  good  kinds?  What  are  the  bad  kinds?  Why  do  cat  people  not  like  cute  little  girl  puppies?

The  First  Bitch
 These  are  easily  my  favorite  bitches.  Just  look  at  how  cute  those  little  girl  doggies  are!
Good  bitch  or  bad  bitch?:  Good.

The  Second  Bitch
I  like  reading  Bitch,  it's  true.  It's  a  feminist  magazine  that  observes  pop  culture  for  the  (mostly)  sexist  trash  it  is.  It  also  has  had  pictures  of  girl  dogs  from  time  to  time.
Good  bitch  or  bad  bitch?:  Good.

The  Third  Bitch
These  are  the  feminist  bitches.  They  know  women  are  equal  to  men  and  they  can  be  tough,  ambitious,  know  what  they  want,  and  say  their  opinion,  so  patriarchy  goes  "You  bitchez  (misspelled  on  purpose)!"  I  am  one  of  these  bitches.
Good  Bitch  or  Bad  Bitch?:  Good.

The  Fourth  Bitch
The  fourth  bitch  is  the  only  bad  bitch  I  will  be  posting  on.  To  me  a  bitch  is  mean,  rude,  intolerant,  or  a  bully.  These  bitches  are  both male  and  female  to  me  (for  me  "bitch"  is  not  a  gendered  term).  It  is  a  common  phrase  in  my  dictionary.  I  don't  like  this  kind  of  bitch,  I  don't  know  who  does.  They  are  not  girl  dogs,  a  magazine,  or  feminists,  they  are  bullies.  They  often  are  very  self  righteous  about  themselves.  For  example,  in  the  fucking  awful  House  of  Night  series,  Zoey,  the  main  character,  constantly  slut  shames  Aphrodite,  and  yet  in  the  series  gets  four boyfriends.  Aphrodite  may  wear  short  clothes  and  may  holy  fuck!  like  sex,  but  when  Zoey  gets  four  boyfriends  is  she  a  slut?  No.  Zoey  is  easily  a  bitch,  not  a  feminist.  I  know  male  bitches,  also.  They  may  be  boys  who  bullied  me  before,  like  if  I  liked  something  or  not.  There  is  no  gender  for  a  bitch  for  me,  if  they  are  a  bitch,  they're  a  bitch.  Oh  yeah,  I  don't  like  slut-shaming,  I  think  it  is  wrong,  but  Zoey  also  fit  into  the  (imaginary)  "slut  box".  But  we're  supposed  to  like  her  so  of  course  she  isn't  a  slut.  Gag.
Good  Bitch  or  Bad  Bitch?  Obviously  Bad.

Teen  lit  needs  more  of  the  first  three  bitches  rather  than  only  the last  one  (characters  in  YA  lit  rarely  seem  to  have  pets  for  some  reason),  heck  the whole  world  needs  more  of  the  first  three  bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment