Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Review


I  was  skeptic  about  this  book  because  I  hated  Delirium,  but  this  gave  me  a  better  look  at  Lauren  Oliver. 
Summary:
Sam  Kingston  is  dead.  She's  died  3  times  already  and  is  continually repeating  the  last  day  of  her  life  over  and  over  again,  a  grand  total  of  seven  times.  She  doesn't  know  why,  but  she  wants  it  to  stop,  bad.  She's  coming  up  with  way  after  way  to  prevent  her  death,  but  every  day  it's  February  12th.  Seven  days  of  one  day,  over  and  over  again.

I  was  really  into  this  book,  it  took  me  two  days  to  read  and  was  worth  it.  I  thought  Sam  was  a  great  thought  out  character.  I  thought  her  friends  were  a  little  too  shallow  and  easily  predicatable  at  times,  but  in  the  end  I  liked  it.
Sam  reliving  her  last  day  sevn  times  started  to  get  annoying  after  three  times,  but  then  once  Sam  began  to  change  I  liked  her  once  more.  By  the  third  time  I  was  thinking  up  ways  she  could  make  it  stop  and  I  was  getting  annoyed  at  her  for  nor  figuring  them  out  until  later  on.  I  didn't  expect  the  ending,  though,  and  it  was  pretty  good.
The  character  I  had  both  the  most  sympathy  for  and  most  related  to  wazs  Juliet  Skyes.  She  was  more  of  the  stereotypical  emo,  but  I  still  liked  her  a  lot.  I'd  like  to  know  more  about  her,  but  I  know  Sam  would  never  be  able  to  know  so  much  since  she  barely  knew  her.  Sam's  boyfriend  was  a  jerk  and  definitely  the  guy  I  liked  least,  so  from  a  one  to  ten  scale  he'd  easily  be  one  and  Juliet  would  be  a  ten.  Sam  woulkd  be  an  eight  because  I  liked  Kent,  he  gets  a  nine  and  a  half  because  at  times  he  did  seem  to  stalk  Sam.
I  wish  the  book  had  shown  a  few  things  of  what  might  happen,  what  if  Sam  did  stay  up  all  night?  Would  she  continue  going  on  and  on  in  her  last  day  for  eternity?  I  like  open  endings  and  such,  but  this  left  me  wondering.

I  give  this  book  a  solid  three  stars  because  three  stars  isn't  always  a  bad  thing  and  was  much  better  than  Oliver's  other  work  which  I  won't  mention. . . .
Fair  warning:  Some  may  be  uncomfortable  with  how  Oliver  mentions  death.

No comments:

Post a Comment