Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly Review

Another  Amazon  cover. . . .  whatever!  
The  idea  of  this  book  sounded  weird  and  yet  compelling  to  me:  Angels  are  monsters  who  eat  people!  So  I  got  this  book,  and  once  I  read  it  I  devoured  it  in  3  days!
Summary:
Alex  is  a  professional  angel  killer  for  the  CIA,  his  mother,  father,  and  brother  were  all  killed  by  those  monsters.  Willow  is  half  angel  and  psychic.  They  both  meet,  in  a  case  where  Alex  is  to  kill  her,  but  then  he  questions  who  he's  been  listening  to  and  soon  enough  the  idea  of  killing  Willow  is  something  he  can't   fathom. . .

Well  this  book  started pretty  good,  lots  of  action  that  makes  me  think  of  my  constant  Saturday  trips  to  the  movies.  Alex  was  the  best,  whenever  it  was  his  turn  in  first  person  I  immediately  began  to  perk  up.  Willow's  mom  also  compelled  me,  it  was  so  sad  what  happened  to  her.  Willow  herself  wasn't  always  great,  but she  kept  me  interested.  I  kept  reading  for  the  action  and  most  of  the  time  I  got  it.  I  also  kept  thinking  questions,  most  eventually they  got  answered,  although  slightly  nonsensically.  
One  of  my  questions:  What  will  happen  when  the  angels  kill  off  all  the  humans/  if  humanity  ends?
Answer  from  the book:  The  angels  are  going  to  encourage  large  families.
Me:  Say  what?  If  angel  burn  causes  AIDS  can't  it  cause  miscarriages?  
Another  Question:  Are  the  angels  only  in  the  U.S.A.?
Book:  No  definite  answer,  all  of  it  only  seems  to  happen  in  the  fifty  nifty  states,  even  up  in  Hawaii  and  Alaska.  I'm  sure  everyone  is  laughing  over  in  Europe  at  the  angel  worshipers  just  like  how  they  do  at  Fox  News.
And  I  was  guessing  parts  because  they  were  so  predictable,  which  at  times  can  be  fine,  and  in  this  case  was  an  in  between.  The  foreshadowing  was  pretty  straight  forward  with  some  twists.
But  the  big  part  I'm  going  to  mention  in  this  book  is  the  romance,  which  at  times  seemed  real  and  other  times  I  wanted  to  slam  the  book  shut  at  the  crazy  lust.  I  was  surprised  there  wasn't  a  sex  scene.  The  romance  honestly  seemed  like  it  was  a  mix  of  Shiver  and  Delirium,  both  horribly  awful  books.  I  just  desperately  wanted  the  plot, not  the  romance,  but  I'm  willing  to  read  the  next  book.
Another  question  was  how  religion  was  involved  in  this  and  it  was  only  halfway  explained.  I  want  to  know  who  fed  on  Mary  and  Joseph?  Did  an  angel  feed  off  Mohamed  and  did  he  suffer  from  angel  burn?  Who  was  in  Daniel's  dream?  These  weren't  explained  and  I  hope  later  on  it  is,  it  bugged  me  through  the  book.

Rating:
3  stars  due  to  romance,  pacing,  and  unexplained  parts.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting take on angels. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete