Monday, August 1, 2011
Marked By P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast Review
OK, so here's a summary:
Zoey Redbird has been marked and will become a vampire, who is now a mere fledgling. She is horrified and her brainwashed mother and father can't stand it. She goes to her grandmother's house and has a head injury. Her grandmother takes her to The House of Night, a "vampire finishing school".
OK, I'll just give my raing here: 2 out of 5 stars. Blah.
1. The language. Who says "poopie" and "boobies"? I say "turd", "poop", and "boobs". At one point Zoey says "shit puppies" like people say "shit bricks". "Shit bricks" makes sense to me, but "shit puppies"? Shit bricks refers to something that usually could scare someone and they'd have an accident in their pants, like if you met Pennywise the clown. Isn't releasing a turd that's a dog every little kid's dream? And in one scene the class was told they'd eventually all die and return to Nyx's bosom? It means someday they're going to return to Nyx's boob, that sounds sick!
2. The So Called "Feminism" of the book. So this isn't the whole helpless girl vampire book, but the "feminism" in it was not feminism. The whole thing about girl vampires being stronger and more needed than guy vampires, basically reversing gender roles, is not what feminism is about. Feminists just want gender equality; they aren't hypocrites. Also, the Dark Daughters hating all male humans? I wasn't convinced considering how hypersexual they are. Also, when Aphrodite tries to force her ex to have oral sex with her I was so mad. It was never reported like all the other sexual assaults performed on men whether by a man or woman. It wasn't even called sexual assault (I won't call it rape because rape refers to intercourse) or even considered it. Forcing someone to have sex with you is a form of sexual assault even if it isn't done by a man to a woman!
3. Using the term "hag". "Hag" refers to an old woman, often wise or ugly. It never refers to a sixteen year old girl with size XL boobs and the looks of a Playboy model. If Damien was so into using big words then why did he use that term, also? A "hag from hell" would be an ugly old woman from hell!
4. Nyx. Nyx had the weirdest need for worship, you have to make a circle with candles and vampires to tell her your prayer, no folding your hands and going "Nyx, please help me."
5. Famous Vampires. What if Shania Twain or Faith Hill didn't want to be vampires? They're two of the listed famous vampires in this book! Did they have any consent in this?
6. The "Sex" and the "Slut". Zoey calls a girl who sleeps with the entire football team a slut? Slut means whore and whore means prostitute and prostitute means someone who has sex with someone for cash. Did that girl get paid her rightful $3.95 for sleeping with them? If not then she isn't a slut. Also the constant use of "slut" A.K.A. "whore" to refer to a girl who has sex with her boyfriend is stupid. If your boyfriend doesn't pay you then you aren't a slut! Also Zoey remarks about girls who sleep with a bunch of guys who think they won't get pregnant or an STD as idiots, what if she used spermicide foam, both male and female condoms correctly, those things doctors insert in a girl's armpit (forgot the name) that controls a girls fertility for about five years, and they both used the (the new) male and female birth control pill! If she got preganant or an STD I'd go buy a lottery ticket worth one million or more because they are the picture of a couple having safe sex!
7. The Cats. Cats being closely related to vampires isn't anything new. Darren Shan said vampires were closely related to wolves in the Cirque Du Freak series.
8. Another Darren Shan rip-off. It was said that Shakespeare was a vampire, in Darren Shan's series he wasn't a vampire but was close friends with a vampire prince named Paris. Shakespeare and vampires have been used before!
9. Zoey thinks the The Taming of the Shrew was beautiful! Has she actually read it? It's one of the most misogynistic plays ever written! In it a man tries to get his eldest daughter married and basically turn her into a female robot. Zoey and Chrissie Hefner are alike, they are both female chauvinist pigs!
Parts I sort of liked:
1. The Ghosts. They were interesting and really the only good scenes in the book.
2. I sort of liked Damien. I only read this for gay vampires since all the paranormal romances these days are so heterosexist, but he didn't really work. I mean him bringing up penises and getting mad at the dicussion of menustration? As The Zac Brown Band said, "You get what you give." And he really wasn't that great, he wasn't the shiniest apple on the tree.
3. When I Finished The Book! It could no longer hold me down!
I'm not reading the sequel because it looks boring.
So 2 out of 5 stars, it was pretty blah.
Instead of reading this I recommend these books:
Salem's Lot by Stephen King along with the short stories "Jerusalem's Lot" and "One For The Road" in his short story collection Night Shift.
Throat by R.A. Nelson
The Vladmir Tod series by Heather Brewer