Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood Review


The  only  reason  I  picked  this  up  was  the  fact  that  I  loved  The  Handmaid's  Tale,  so  I  knew  I  had  to  read  another  of  her  works  also  dealing  with  feminism.
Summary:
Marian  McAlpin  is  a  twenty  something  year  old  woman  living  in  Canada  in  the  1960's.  She  has  a  college  education  but  works  at  a  survey  office  with  a  Pension  Plan  and  shares  an  apartment  with  a  friend  of  a  friend,  her  (awesome,  loved  her)  roommate  Ainsley  who  doesn't  want  to  get  married,  but  wants  a  child.  She  has  a  boyfriend,  Peter,  who  engages  her,  but  it's  said  the  relationship  isn't  very  committed.  She  has  friends,  such  as  the  "Office  Virgins",  the  crazy  epic  Duncan  (he  was  even  better  than  Ainsley),  and  Len,  a  ma  who  works  on  TV  in  England  and  who  inseminates  (with  regret,  thinking  he  seduced  her  and  basically  Ainsley  raped  him)  Ainsley.  
So,  the  basic  plot  is  that  Marian  begins  to  not  be  able  to  eat  food  and  the  metaphor  is  she  can't  fit  into  the  extremely  sexist,  feminine  role.  It  starts  out  with  meat,  but  she's  sure  she  isn't  a  vegetarian,  then  other  various  foods,  eventually  she  isn't  able  to  eat  anything.  She  doesn't  have  an  eating  disorder,  though.

Although  it  wasn't  as  exciting  as  The  Handmaid's  Tale,  it  was  still  a  very  good  book  filled  with  metaphor  and  irony.  The  characters  were  interesting  and  the  changing  from  first person  to  third  person  in  the  middle  of  the  book  was  a  great  example  of  losding  yourself  because  I  have  trouble  writing  in  third  person,  I  feel  distant  from  my  characters.  I  could  also  relate  to  the  example  of  eating  because  lately I  haven't  been  eating  breakfast,  I've  lost  my  appetite  for  it.

Rating:  
5  stars,  a  fantastic,  hard  to  forget,  and  highly  recommended  novel.     

No comments:

Post a Comment