Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinney Review

 Slight  spoilers  for  the  past  5  Wimpy  Kid  books,  beware!
I  was  really  excited  about  this  book  because  I  loved  the  last  5  books  of  the  Diary  of  a  Wimpy  Kid  books.  I  was  surprised  Kinney  was  releasing  another Wimpy  Kid  book,  but  excited  none the  less.  I  got  this  book  Friday  and  read  it  in  about  an  hour  and  a  half.
So  when  I  started  this  it  was  around  the  holidays.  I  couldn't  help  but  smile  at  that  because  I  love  the  holidays  and  I  wanted  to  see  Kinney  pull  it  off.  It  was  OK,  I  could  relate  to  most  of  it,  but  isn't  Greg  in  eighth  grade?  And  he  was  going  crazy  because  he  was  scared  of  what  list  Santa  was  going  to  put  him  on.  I  thought  he'd  finally  know  the  truth.  
The  art  was  the  same  Wimpy  Kid  I'm  used  to,  which  I'm  glad  didn't  change.  It  seems  no  one  changed,  either.  Even  Greg  made  the  same  mistakes  as  past  books  with  recycled  jokes  (breaking  his  grandma's  lawnmower).  I  wanted  just  slight  character  changes.  It  was  definitely  my  least  favorite  Wimpy  Kid  book.
Some  of  the  jokes  were  very  true  to  life,  such  as  all  the  safety  equipment  used  at  Manny's  pee-wee  soccer  games.  I  also  loved  the  Jesus  joke  (I  am  a  Jesus  joke  nerd)  where  Jesus's  present  was  for  both  Christmas  and  His  birthday.  Rowley's  "LOL"  scene  was  nice  and  the  online  pet  resembles  a  lot  of  online  pet  games  I've  played  (it  really  reminded  me  most  of  Webkinz).  I  also  experienced  a  similar  ice  storm  to  Greg's  a  few  years  ago  and  I  missed  a  lot  of  school.  I  also  thought  the  Christmas  special  with  the  weather  report  joke  was  hilarious.
However,  the  summary of  the  book  stating  where  Greg  gets  in  huge  trouble  doesn't  happen  until  past  page  120  or  so.  The  entire  journal  takes  place  in  less  than  a  month  and  it  seemed  like  Kinney  just  threw  the  book  together  because  he  needed  quick  cash.  I  thought  the  series  ended  at  5  books,  so  this  was  a  quick  fix.  The  series  would  be  fine  without  Cabin  Fever.  
The  ending  was  OK.  I  liked  it,  but  at  the  same  time  I  don't  think  it  covers  Greg's  problem.  However,  it  was  a  good  read.  Since  it  says  in  the  book  more  Wimpy  Kid  books  will  be  released  I'm  going  to  read  them,  but  I'll  probably  get  them  from  the  library  like  I  did  this  one  (and  I  made  sure  early  on  to  get  first  spot  on  the  waiting  list,  guess  I'll  have  to  pull  it  off  again,  soon).
It  just  barely  gets  4  stars.  This  wasn't  Kinney's  masterpieces  like  the  first  4  books  or  his  amazing  short  story  in  Guys  Read:  Funny  Business
Oh  yeah,  Jeff  Kinney,  if  you  ever  read  this  (fat  chance),  please  make  some  more  Wimpy  Kid  movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment